Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:54:47 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <anholt@teleport.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syscons hangs with -current

I'm afraid I don't quite understand how that desribes the fix to my
problem (Freezing on boot after having probed a non-existant vga1 and
sc1).  What I did do, I went into sys/dev/fb/vga.c and commented out
the second vga head detection.  Works beautifully now, though it
would be better to actually figure out why it was finding another vga
card.  Still, it's up and running.

Now, if I could just figure out why ppp doesn't work (keeps complaining about
"tun0: Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable",
dials, and then sits and does nothing.)

>On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:39:44 MST, Eric Anholt wrote:
>
>>  Nope, same old device sc 1.  I've tried unmodified GENERIC, and it
>>  does the same thing.  Why am I special?
>
>I believe that the attached commit message describes the fix to the
>problem.  However, I'd recommend going all the way to rev 1.10 or
>whatever the latest is by the time you get this mail. :-)
>
>Ciao,
>Sheldon.
>

>green       2000/07/10 23:47:38 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/dev/randomdev    yarrow.c
>   Log:
>   One should never allocate 4-kilobyte structs and such on the interrupt
>   stack.  It's bad for your machine's health.
>
>   Make the two huge structs in reseed() static to prevent crashes.  This
>   is the bug that people have been running into and panic()ing on for the
>   past few days.
>
>   Reviewed by:	phk
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.8       +7 -3      src/sys/dev/randomdev/yarrow.c

Eric Anholt
anholt@teleport.com