Date:      Mon, 06 May 1996 06:48:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs leaking?

>> >    I can't explain this. There must be something interacting with this, like a
>> > user process limit or something. There haven't been any kernel changes that
>> > would affect this.
>>

>I am seeing the same behavior as well!  I also have NMBCLUSTERS set to
>4096 but according to 'netstat -m', only 156k is allocated to mbufs!!  I
>was wondering if I was interpretting it correctly.  Any theories?
>
>Here's the netstat output:
>
>36 mbufs in use:
>        11 mbufs allocated to data
>        9 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>        12 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>        4 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
>8/76 mbuf clusters in use
>156 Kbytes allocated to network (13% in use)

   I didn't mention this before, but the space for the buffers is only
allocated when it is needed. NMBCLUSTERS only sets the _maximum_ amount. In
my comments above, I was assuming that the machines were doing the same
thing in both cases. If you don't see an error on the console about running
out of mb_map space, then I don't think you have a problem.

-DG

David Greenman