Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:39:35 +0100
From:      "Dr. Peter Voigt" <pvoigt@uos.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Libiconv confusion on 10.0-RELEASE

I am running a fresh installation of 10.0-RELEASE since its
publication at the end of January this year. I have installed many
ports since then and all dependencies are OK.

Yesterday I have stumbled across several posts in the forum making me
aware of a major change in handling port converters/libiconv:
10.0-RELEASE ships with its own version of iconv so that there is no
need to install port converters/libiconv anymore.

Some of these posts are:
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44658
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644
https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44659

Immediately I have studied /usr/ports/UPDATING and have found this
confirmed with the 20130904 entry telling me at the same time how to
remove converters/libiconv from the system.

First I checked dependencies from converters/libiconv:
# pkg query %ro libiconv
devel/glib20
sysutils/polkit
graphics/liblqr-1
sysutils/upower
x11-toolkits/pango
astro/xplanet
editors/vim
ftp/proftpd
converters/php5-iconv
mail/claws-mail
lang/vala-vapigen

Then I've issued as proposed:
# pkg query %ro libiconv >ports_to_update
# pkg delete -f libiconv
# cat ports_to_update | xargs portmaster

All ports depending on converters/libiconv have been rebuilt but
converters/libiconv has been reinstalled with all the above ports
depending on it again:
# pkg info -o libiconv
libiconv-1.14_2                converters/libiconv

At the same time /usr/ports/UPDATING tells me that some ports still
need converters/libiconv. At this point I am completely lost and need
some advice:

1.) Should I try to get rid of converters/libiconv with respect to the
    above dependencies?

2.) If 1.) = "YES": How can I achieve it, because the proposed way
    in /usr/ports/UPDATING  does not work.
    In one of the above links following is proposed:
    portmaster -Raf
    which should rebuild all ports.
    Is there any switch needed in /etc/make.conf to convice ports of
    not using converters/libiconv?

3.) Is there a list of known ports that definitely
    need converters/libiconv?

I do appreciate any advice on this topic.

Regards,
Peter