Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:45:23 -0500
From:      "Faisal Ali" <faisal.ali@gsxxi.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Workaround for boot problems

Hi,

I have a Mylex DAC960PL card on which FreeBSD 4.2 Release did not boot. I
checked the "Trouble.txt" file for suggestion to fix the problem. The advise
did not help.

But I was able to fix the problem by booting the system with DOS boot disk;
executing the DOS utility as "fdisk /mbr". This created Master boot record
on the Mylex hosted logical drive.

Then I installed the system and intructed the installation process to
allocate partition WITHOUT DEDICATING ENTIRE DRIVE and instructed NOT TO
TOUCH THE BOOT RECORD.

The system installed and booted properly.

I have seen the same problem on other systems with different SCSI host
adapters. This workaround always worked.

I don't know why but I assume the incorrect drive geometry is detected by
the FDISK editor.

Faisal Ali
Network Engineer.
Global Services Twenty One Inc.