Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2015 21:21:23 -0600
From:      Sean DuBois <sean@siobud.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jasoncwells@fastmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Analyze and Edit a Binary File

Hey Jason,

I would try opening the file in question with a hex editor.
I use vim when working on FreeBSD, and Hex Fiend when on OSX,
I imagine the version number will be in the first N bytes of the file OR
at the very end.

The file my also be made up of other things, just perhaps run it through
binwalk as well? I am by no means an experienced reverser, so I bet even
better advice will come from the list soon :)