Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:51:18 +0100
From:      Karl Jeacle <karl@jeacle.ie>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   stdout from mplayer/mencoder?

I am using mplayer and lame to convert RealAudio files to MP3.
Everything works, but I'd like to avoid large temporary WAV files.

Currently, I do something like:

        mplayer -ao pcm -aofile $WAVFILE $RAFILE
        lame $WAVFILE $MP3FILE

But what I'd like to do is more like:

	mplayer -ao pcm -aofile /dev/stdout $RAFILE | lame - $MP3FILE

The problem is that the resulting MP3 file is just white noise. I'm not
sure what's going wrong. (I've tried specifying -r & -s lame flags.)

Is it possible to get mplayer to write to stdout?
Or for mplayer/lame to convert RA->MP3 in a single pipeline?

Thanks,
Karl