Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2011 05:57:06 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ZFS v28 merged to 8-STABLE

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Martin Matuska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have merged ZFS version 28 to 8-STABLE (revision 222741)
>
> New major features:
>
> - data deduplication
> - triple parity RAIDZ (RAIDZ3)
> - zfs diff
> - zpool split
> - snapshot holds
> - zpool import -F. Allows to rewind corrupted pool to earlier
>   transaction group
> - possibility to import pool in read-only mode
>
> For updating, there is a compatibility layer so that in the update phase
> most functionality of the new zfs binaries can be used with the old
> kernel module and old zfs binaries with the new kernel module.
>
> If upgrading your boot pool to version 28, please don't forget to read
> UPDATING and properly update your boot code.
>
> Thanks to everyone working on the ZFS port, especially to
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek (pjd) for doing most of the work!

Thanks for the work on this, guys!

I've already managed to find something odd.  This message only appears
on console, not via pty/tty.

icarus# zpool create backups ada2
Solaris(cont): !created version 28 pool backups using 28

src/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/spa_history.c
contains:

490 void
491 spa_history_log_version(spa_t *spa, history_internal_events_t event)
492 {
493 #ifdef _KERNEL
494         uint64_t current_vers = spa_version(spa);
495
496         if (current_vers >= SPA_VERSION_ZPOOL_HISTORY) {
497                 spa_history_log_internal(event, spa, NULL,
498                     "pool spa %llu; zfs spa %llu; zpl %d; uts %s %s %s %s",
499                     (u_longlong_t)current_vers, SPA_VERSION, ZPL_VERSION,
500                     utsname.nodename, utsname.release, utsname.version,
501                     utsname.machine);
502         }
503         cmn_err(CE_CONT, "!%s version %llu pool %s using %llu",
504             event == LOG_POOL_IMPORT ? "imported" :
505             event == LOG_POOL_CREATE ? "created" : "accessed",
506             (u_longlong_t)current_vers, spa_name(spa), SPA_VERSION);
507 #endif
508 }

A "zpool destroy", etc. does not print any similar message.  It only
happens on pool creation.  Is this intentional behaviour?  What does
"Solaris(cont)" represent in the context of FreeBSD?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |