Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 22:01:51 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: should we update xntp in the base system to newest ntp version ?

Studded wrote:

> Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >
> > The version we have is based on ntp 3.4e.
>
> > Does somebody know, if there is a demand to upgrade xntpd ?
>
>         Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes. I've only asked for this about that number
> of times. :)  The reaons for the upgrade being desirable include several
> bug fixes, *vastly* improved efficiency and several new features.

Including (pretty much) working support for most portable GPS units with an
'NMEA-0183' serial interface, like my Garmin GPS-II.  It's pretty cool to
be able to have a (relatively) reliable local time clock for $129, plus
about $35 for a data cable.  ;^)

> I've done a lot of
> research on NTP and have deployed a world-wide time server network
> including a lot of freebsd servers so this is a topic near to my heart.

Me too, having recently spent a lot of effort smashing it into VxWorks
to run on the layer-3 switching equipment at my 'day job.'  If you
connect a GPS to the 'modem' port on the switches processing module,
you can implement your own time server network across your lan/wan/
campus network with *no* external references.  Cool, eh?

Of course, you can provide the same time services for a lot less with
the same small GPS and a 386sx/16 running FreeBSD, with an NE2000 in it.
;^)