Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:25:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Helge Oldach <helge.oldach@atosorigin.com>
To:        thierry@herbelot.com
Cc:        bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net
Subject:   Re: implications of SMP kernel on UP

Thierry Herbelot:
>Le Thursday 01 April 2004 09:10, Bjoern A. Zeeb a écrit :
>> what are the implications on running an SMP enabled kernel on a UP
>> machine ?
>>
>> I first thought of things like:
>> - performence (most likely not worth the discussion ?)
>
>I got an improvement with a factor of ten between an SMP and a UP
>kernel on a HTT-enabled P4/2,6GHz/800MHz FSB on network transfers (with
>gigabit Ethernet boards: SMP gives about 6MB/s for FTP transfer rate,
>and UP gives up to 75MB/s)
>
>So: as long as the network stack is not fully locked (this is coming -
>perhaps for 5.3), a server should definitely run a UP kernel.

Ooops, that is indeed dramatic.

Does the same locking impact also affect other, interrupt-bound
subsystems, such as the disk subsystem (in particular SCSI)?

I am asking because I have a HTT machine that walks some 35.000
files every few minutes with an aggreated disk I/O load of only 5
MBytes/second, while the SCSI hardware is able to do SCSI-3/160...
It appears that a lot of processes are indeed disk bound ("D").

Helge