Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:10:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        dougb@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kometen@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Pete French wrote:

>> I can't (fortunately) make it lock up. I have a DL360 G5 which is unused
>> atm. and can test on it if needed.
>
> Would it be possible to install that under amd64 and hammer it with DNS
> requests ? I have been trying to think what the difference might be between
> my webservers and the machines which are freezing, and the opnly one I an
> come up with is UDP traffic as the locking machines are serving DNS and also
> NFS.

There are significant changes in UDP locking between 7.0 and 7.1, so it could
be that we're looking at a regression there.  If you're able to reproduce this
reliably, it might well be worth doing a little search-and-replace in
udp_usrreq.c along the following lines:

   INP_RLOCK_ASSERT -> INP_WLOCK_ASSERT
   INP_RLOCK -> INP_WLOCK
   INP_RUNLOCK -> INP_WUNLOCK

However, before making these changes for debugging purposes, make sure it's
100% reproduceable without them in the configuration so that we don't find
ourselves barking up the wrong tree.  Normally deadlocks along these lines
*do* allow breaking into the debugger from a serial console, but since there
are significant changes here in 7.1 it is worth trying to see if this might be
related.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge