Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:27:44 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more struct ifnet move lossage.

> You've missed the point totally of what I originally said and that is
> that tcpdump no longer compiles "out of the box".  "out of the box"
> means ftp'ing it from LBL, not using what's in src/contrib/tcpdump.
> Or do you want to debate about that too ?

No, I'll confess that /usr/src on the box I checked on (I'm not
completely stupid 8) is 2.2, not -current (I've been beating on 2.2.5
pre-release).

> What's in src/contrib/tcpdump is the LBL tcpdump PLUS FreeBSD
> compatibility hacks.  Do you want to disagree on that ?

No.  Mea culpa.

> > Um, as a committer you can't avoid receiving all the commit messages.
> > Dump the ones that don't affect you, and just keep an eye on the ones
> > that do.  There's been slow change and declaration of intent in there
> > for many months now.
>
> Sorry, I don't keep months worth of cvs commit messages in my head or
> on disk.  I just scan things for relevance to myself, which is usually
> limited to reading the subject line :)

No offense, but I think you need to at least keep a little continuity
going...

> But CVS commit messages do not make a discussion or announcement...(to
> me anyway).

A trend in commits, or attached comments thereto can generally be taken
as an announcement.  The people responsible for these changes (mostly
Bruce and Garrett) aren't given to lengthy pontification.  If one of
them commits something, it's worth paying attention to.

mike