Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:48:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good News! Commercial Backing For FreeBSD

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

[snip]

>Brett wants a more active commercial advocacy than this.  For this
>to be possible, he has to proclaim from the rooftops that his
>product uses FreeBSD (perhaps even that his putative product is
>a FreeBSD distribution: a "WhiteHat" to Linux's  "RedHat").

Hmm... WhiteHat sounds like a good "marketing" angle. That may be the
concept that distinguishes us from the rabble.

You're arguments are sound. I think, though, that one of the
intellectual property rights of the FreeBSD trade mark is how that
mark is perceived in the world at large. It isn't clear to me what the
ultimate desired perception is likely to be.

That the discussion has reached this level suggests that the project
has reached the mass where a decision and a clear statement needs
to be made.

[snip]

>Do you want to see FreeBSD mentions in advertisements for commercial
>products in print, radio, television, etc. advertising?  Then you
>need to indemnify the people who are willing to pay for this, to
>alleviate their risk.

This is the $64,000 question. I don't think the latter follows the
first.

-- Jay