Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:32:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>
Subject:   co-location model

In thinking about the co-location model of many machines, whether 1U or
bigger, one realizes that lots of space, lots of energy [I am writing from
California], lots of iron and other materials are inefficiently consumed.
Let alone late night trips to the server farm.

Instead of co-location with lots of  physical servers if someone were to setup
a mainframe that provided,
  -multiple OS configurations and alternatives
  -centralized hardware management
  -centralized security management on the mainframe
  -flexible, reliable, scalable storage

then space, energy, raw materials and I suspect major costs could be
minimized. Late night trips to the server could be eliminated!

My two questions.
-Is this a reasonable long term model for ISPs and or server farms?

-Does anyone offer this today at the scale of rack size bites of
physical space?

[I say mainframe only to emphasize extreme hardware and software
reliability].

Interested to hear what the community thinks.

Thanks
jeff