Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:44:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, config@FreeBSD.ORG, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd idea

> > BOOTP is not necessarily sufficient.  BOOTP does not allow truly
> > dynamic configuration, or at least not with the ISC dhcpd.
>
> Remember we are talking about the loader here, for net booting.  Not for
> after you've booted.  When net booting you need to tell the loader the
> kernel's name and the path to / .  I could be wrong, but I think you
> usually would not want these dolled out randomly.  For example:

You don't want them handed out randomly, no, but conversely you
(probably ) want the same address to be used by the system once it's up
and running.  At least in theory if the loader is able to pull the DHCP
config off, it can pass the relevant lease details on to the kernel,
which can be used to seed dhclient.

It's all a bit vague at the moment, and there's plenty of room to
change things around as the code matures.  For now, suffice to say that
I expect to add DHCP if for no other reason than that's all that PXE
supports.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org