Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:27:29 +0400
From:      Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   New "scallhook" feature. Is is OK to create a proposal?

Folks,

My friend, Vladislav Soldatov, and I are going to propose and implement a
new "scallhook" feature: the generic modular solution to monitoring,
filtering and translating system calls.

The feature differs from OpenBSD systrace: it is much more general, going to
be modular and have strong foundation for security application.

The project includes implementing the kernel-side code, the userland
configuration utility, some of most required filtering/translating modules
as well as a new handbook (otherbooks) section on configuration and
extending, plus articles on the web. The future additions to the project may
be a system for sandboxing application every time it is started and an
extension to ports system which would automatically sandbox application when
it is being installed.

About me:

I am software engineer, currently working in Cisco Systems, specializing in
C/C++/UNIX. My additional interests are software quality and security. I am
a port maintainer for devel/boost-* and was participating in extending
syscons driver, until the project was superseded by syscons rewrite by Ed
Schouten.

About Vladislav:
Vladislav is a PhD of computer science, has experience with developing in C
and C++ for FreeBSD.

Before writing the full proposal on the wiki, I'd like to receive the first
approval.

What do you think of this?
Will be the feature accepted?

Alexander Churanov