Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:48:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "nl" command

On Sunday, 14 October 2001 at 20:18:52 -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
> I'm new to FreeBSD but not new to Linux/UNIX so bear with me.
> I tried using "nl" to number lines in standard out put and I got this:
>
> 102 scott@blue: /home/scott > ls -al | ln
> usage: ln [-fhinsv] file1 file2
>        ln [-fhinsv] file ... directory
>        link file1 file2

This looks to me like you're trying to use ln (make a link), not nl.

> My question is: what is the "nl" command under FreeBSD used for?

It isn't.

> I guess "cat -n" would give the results I'm looking for

Yes, that's correct.  They're identical to the output of nl.

> but what happend to nl (number lines)?

FreeBSD doesn't have an nl(1) command.  It's part of the GNU text
utilities package.  It's in the Ports Collection,
/usr/ports/textproc/textutils if you want it.  It installs as
/usr/local/bin/gnl.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.