Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:57:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Broome <broome@msiadmin.cit.cornell.edu>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, surestore_support@hp_loveland_om10.om.hp.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 and HP-C3725C Disk

I'm seeing the same problems with my new (opened this morning) HP
C3724SR drive.  Is this problem characteristic of HP SCSI drives?

-Paul

Re: FreeBSD 2.1 and HP-C3725C Disk

  FROM: SE@ZPR.UNI-KOELN.DE (STEFAN ESSER)
  DATE: 1996/01/14
sender: se@Sysiphos (Stefan Esser)
references: <4d6ep0$54t@mojo.schoene.adviser.com>
newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

In article <4d6ep0$54t@mojo.schoene.adviser.com>, news@Adviser.com (News Admin)
 writes:
|> Hello,
|>
|> i'am new with FreeBSD. I have a problem with an HP-C3725C disk
|> and FreeBSD. This disk works fine with win95,winnt,linux,bsdos2.1
|> but with FreeBSD 2.1 it says only:
|>
|> an 12 20:56:02 gala /kernel: sd0(ncr0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlap
ped commands attempted
|> Jan 12 20:56:02 gala /kernel: , FAILURE
|> Jan 12 20:56:02 gala /kernel: sd0: error reading primary partition table rea
ding fsbn 0 (sd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)

The "Overlapped command" is normally an
indication of mixing tagged commands and
"normal" commands. But the driver has not
been accused of that before ;-)

The third line inidactes, that this is a
failure at boot time. It appears, that a
few commands had been successfully executed
by the drive (i.e. the IDENTIFY) and that
it fails on the first actual disk data
transfer ...

You seem to have access to other drives.
Could you please try  to build a kernel
with tagged commands disabled ?

The patch is to replace

                ncr_setmaxtags (tp, SCSI_NCR_MAX_TAGS);

with

                ncr_setmaxtags (tp, 0);

in /sys/pci/ncr.c (line 6228 in my current
sources). Please do not change the value
of SCSI_NCR_MAX_TAGS, since it is used to
dimension some internal tables.

|> I installed FreeBSD 2.1 on another disk in the same system without any
|> problem.

Well, yes. It works well with most current
SCSI disk drives, though it is a bit picky
with a few cheap CDROM drives.

If you find that it works with the HP drive
after tags have been disabled, then we might
try to further diagnose the problem. This will
require building a kernel with the config line:

options "SCSI_DEBUG_FLAGS=0x600"

This will print trace messages for synchronous
transfer negotiation and tag use (which should
be disabled by default after the patch, but you
can use ncrcontrol to re-enable tags anytime
the system is running ...).

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen          Tel:    +49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln        FAX:    +49 221 4705160

Paul Broome <broome@msiadmin.cit.cornell.edu>