Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:09:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Processes -will- -not- die!

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Drew Morone wrote:
> For some reason, some of the user apps on my system will get hung, and
> won't die when somebody exits unceremoniously. I of course have to go in
> and kill the process, which proceeds to suck up all of the CPU. This
> seems to happen most with "pine" and "tin", but will happen with other
> software as well.

I have also seen this problem.  One case where dialup shell users
get cut off while running pine and the other where local XTerm users
close the xterm w/o exiting Pine.  Both result in pine hanging in
a cpu-eating loop.

Annoying but doesn't really hurt much.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|