Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:58:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bill O'Connell" <bill@springwoodsys.com>
To:        Fabrizzio Batista <Fabrizzio.Batista@lojasobino.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with IPSEC

On 16-Oct-00 Fabrizzio Batista wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> The SAD and SPD entries look OK. Are you running a firewall and/or
>> NAT on these systems? If so, how are they configured?
>>

> Yeah, I´m running ipfw and NAT. NAT breaks IPSEC ???
>
>  How can I do to use NAT in my internal interface ? Is this the best
> solution ?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>   Fabrizzio

If your ipfw rules divert packets to natd before ipsec sees them, then that's
the problem. You'd have to allow your VPN private addresses to pass before
they're diverted to natd, which presents potential security issues. This is why
it's probably not a good idea to have the same box be both a firewall and an
IPSec security gateway.

Bill