Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2013 19:54:04 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <smh@freebsd.org>
To:        <fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changing the default for ZFS atime to off?

One of the first changes we make here when installing machines
here to changing atime=off on all ZFS pool roots.

I know there are a few apps which can rely on atime updates
such as qmail and possibly postfix, but those seem like special
cases for which admins should enable atime instead of the other
way round.

This is going to of particular interest for flash based storage
which should avoid unnessacary writes to reduce wear, but it will
also help improve performance in general.

So what do people think is it worth considering changing the
default from atime=on to atime=off moving forward?

If so what about UFS, same change?

    Regards
    Steve