Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 12:43:05 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1021743786.18a07a@mired.org>
To:        "Gray, David" <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Chat List'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Backups and such

In <0BC5187E59E2D411A81000508BB0956901E33CBB@nmrusdunsx6.nielsenmedia.com>, Gray, David <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com> typed:
> A multivolume dump to tape works, and is the current
> solution - but its slow over the network - the speed
> of the tape and the speed of the net don't match well,
> causing the tape to go to stop-start mode.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried not using the rmt protocol, but
using rsh (or ssh) to copy the data over? Some work done at stanford
in the early nineties showed that rmt was *very* slow, and simply
doing "rsh <hostname> dump | dd <reblock it out to tape>" was
faster. I confirmed that result going to a disk buffer.

	<mike