Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 03:54:27 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:

> This is also ridiculous.  No CEO or CIO is going to  give a RAT's ASS
> about what is said in a mailing list about a particular product.

Probably.  But the problem is that there is nothing else with FreeBSD.
If you want support, you post to a mailing list, and hope that someone
answers you without abusing you or flying off the handle.  You cannot
call a toll number and have a cool-headed professional walk through your
issue and solve the problem.  You post to a list or a newsgroup and you
pray.  And as often as not, you get yelled at for daring to question the
perfection of the OS rather than get a solution to your problem.

Sorry, but that's no way to promote an OS.  And yes, executives will see
it, because there are no alternatives.  And they will find out about it,
because they'll ask their subordinates how the OS being suggested to
them is supported when something goes wrong.  And what does one tell
them?  "Well, you post to this list, and sometimes you can get a pretty
good answer in a day or two, unless you say something they don't like,
then they'll killfile you."

Do any people on this list work in the corporate world?  Do they ever
prepare presentations to management?  Do they ever have to do
feasibility studies and justify their suggestions for acquisitions or
changes?

> If so, WIndows would have been dead years ago.

Actually, Windows has been slow to penetrate the server market precisely
because Microsoft still has some of the angry-young-male mentality.
They've learned a lot over the decades, but they are still utterly
clueless compared to companies like IBM.  I've seen this firsthand.

> On a related note:  Balmer's big mouth hasn't killed Windows
> yet either.

Only because Gates built the company up into a successful multinational
with a lot of inertia before Balmer took the helm.  But that big mouth
is still a liability for the company.  Fortunately for Microsoft, most
of the competition is just as clueless (look at people like Larry
Ellison or Steve Jobs, and Balmer almost starts to look wise).

> These mailing lists are not official mouthpieces of the FreeBSD
> project.

Where _is_ the official mouthpiece?  CIOs want to know.  Whom do you
call?  Who commits?  Who signs on the dotted line?  Not knowing these
things makes executives nervous, and they don't adopt products that make
them nervous, even if they are free.

> If the FreeBSD projects website, official announcements, etc were like
> this, you'd have a case.

The Web site actually looks pretty amateurish compared to the
competition.  It screams "shareware hobbyist" rather than "enterprise
solutions center."

> But we are talking about a cross section of user's in unofficial
> channels. That does not mean a thing to these people.

It does when that's the only thing they can see.

--
Anthony