Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:54:11 -0700
From:      Shawn Nock <nock@email.arizona.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NDIS driver Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG reaches kernel panic

--=-fBpkJ/PnH/vCo/Ibgs0Q

Coincidently, I tried to revert to the ndis wrapper for my 2200bg after
several months using if_iwi... (iwi has some problems: won't associate
with hidden ssid host & the g speed negociation leaves something to be
desired)

I am experiencing the same panic on a very recent current:

FreeBSD rainbow.kuatcom.local 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #5: Sat
Jun 11 03:15:34 MST 2005

4 months ago if_ndis worked fine with this card... Can't tell you when
it broke (just tried today...).=20

Supplimentary information can be provided if anyone is interested in
working on the problem.

FYI (Probably unrelated): The only thing that changed in my config is
the addition of ULE+PREEMPTION.

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 00:24 +0200, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Le Vendredi 10 juin 2005 =E0 18:48 -0600, Braulio Jos=E9 Solano Rojas a
> =E9crit :
> > Hello.
> >=20
> > I have installed FreeBSD 5.4 on a ASUS S5200N.  Runs very nice!
> >=20
> > However I still need to install Wifi.  I saw that Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
> > 2200BG is not supported by wlan FreeBSD driver (reading through the man
> > pages).  Then I found that I could use the NDIS driver added on FreeBSD
> > 5.3 to achieve Wireless Networking.
>=20
> 	This chipset is supported by iwi(4) driver, but it hasn't been=20
> 	MFC'ed to RELENG_5.
>=20
> 	Here [1] is a port I'm planning to commit that installs the=20
> 	needed firmware and optionally (you seem to need it though) a=20
> 	kernel module to support your card.
>=20
> 	I can't test it by myself, so I'd be glad you test it for me.
>=20
> 	It has a rcNG script, if you just put iwi_enable=3D"YES" it will
> 	try to set iwi0 in bss mode. Just put if_iwi_enable=3D"YES" in
> 	/boot/loader.conf so that it works at boot time. See pkg-message
> 	for more information.
>=20
> 	Note: It needs latest modifications I just committed to=20
> 	net/ipw-firmware.=20
>=20
> 	Note2: Sorry, it has nothing to do with ndis(4).
>=20
> 	[1] http://www.xbsd.org/~flz/ports/iwi-firmware.shar
>=20
--=20
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0x8ED6EE9A)
Broadcast Engineer; KUAT-TV 6, Tucson, AZ
University of Arizona
nock@email.arizona.edu
desk: 520.621.3280
cell: 520.820.0687