Date:      Fri, 6 May 2005 11:31:55 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        FreeeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: subversion-1.1.4 amd64/opteron -fPIC failure

--Apple-Mail-5--352637712

On May 5, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Mike Schroll wrote:

>> what is your thinking behind turning on PIC for all compiles of
>> system and port?  how do you expect the system to build at all?
>
> Seemingly most apps compiled on amd64 platform require -fPIC (and most
> things will add it themselves?)

PIC generates position independent code.  It totally unnecessary unless
you are building a shared object, aka ".so" library file.

I have yet to encounter *anything* that needs it on the amd64 platform
other than the .so building which already specify that.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

--Apple-Mail-5--352637712--