Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:17:09 -0500
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for testing - top 3.8b1 in the base system

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:46:20PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> I have made an update for the top(1) utility in the FreeBSD base
> system to get it from the 3.5b12 version to the 3.8b1 version.
>=20
[...]
> Please report any issues with it (compile time, run time) and a way
> to reproduce it (if possible). Thanks for your help!

There's an overflow bug in format_k2 in 3.5b12 that means that top can
corrupt the SIZE field of processes which allocate 2TB or more of memory; t=
hat
seems to be fixed in 3.8b1 but I've noticed that if a process allocates
over 2TB then it doesn't show up at the top of the display when sorting
by SIZE in 3.8b1; I suspect there must be another overflow somewhere.
I'm sure it'll be a good few years before anyone actually hits this
bug running real programs, but I don't know if it might affect other
things.

--=20
Bruce Cran

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT