Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:34:18 +1000
From:      "xlr82xs" <xlr82xs@eis.net.au>
To:        "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@massey.ac.nz>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP server on freebsd

Well, actually the "/etc" folder displayed in the root of the ftp service
when you log on as an anonymous user (i think it ends up in /var/ftp/ by
default) isn't the real etc and the password file in there isn't the real
/etc/passwd file

but since fbsd shadows the password file anyway :/

i think as it stands everyone has read access to /etc/passwd because no
password hashes are kept in there anyway, the actuall encrypted passwords
are stored in /etc/master.passwd which is only readable by root

so being able to read passwd as an anonymous ftp user is fine

the only real security "problem" with anonymous ftp access is that people
may use your server to host warez/porn/whatever if you allow uploads.

HOWEVER

if you allow users ftp access it should be noted that passwords for ftp are
transmitted in plain text and may be sniffed.

Also there are various exploits and other issues for the various ftp servers
around but you can go and look that up for the specific ftpd you are
running...