Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:01:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: whining about tinderbox messages

On 16 Aug, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH punched keys in this particular order:
> On the other hand, they do let you know (once the tinderbox has stabilized,
> this being a new setup with the bugs being worked out of it) whether recent
> -STABLE will build or not, which can be quite useful even for ordinary users
> of -STABLE.  (You know to hold off on updating if it's failing for your
> platform(s).)

Maybe you (or who else is responsible) can spare us the false and
the excpected negatives, so that it looks at least like a trustworthy
attempt? I don't consider it wise to send TB messages when you're not
certain whether it is FreeBSD's fault or the tinderbox's.

I also think it would be nicer to send a TB message at the first
breakage, and a "builds again" message once the problems are solved. It
is easier on the users like me, and I'm quite certain it's less
annoying to the developers ("yeah yeah, I know that's broken, I'm
working on it!").

And as a final remark; Could you please limit your opinion to the
technical content, and exclude the people from it (referring to the
subject)? Otherwise you're working to make a "mild annoyance" grow to a
flamewar. And nobody wants that.

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl
                        I think, therefore I drink.