Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:48:15 +0100
From:      "Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?=" <Lars@koellers.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lars@koellers.net>
Subject:   Re: 5.2-rc1 Install

Hi,

many thanks for the quick answer, even you are resolving the last hicks =

before 5.2 is released .....

>> I'm trying to install a 5.2 system and have had a lot of trouble:
>>
>>  - The disk images won't boot on my Adaptec 2940UW controller with the=

>>    latest Firmware.
>>    I have to make an image by myself with mkisofs and cdrecord. After
>>    this all boots well.
>
>Odd... the Adaptec BIOS is known to have problems if you have missing or=

>invalid DOS slice tables.  Don't run using 'dedicated' mode with Adaptec=
s,
>at least with the first boot volume.

Hmm, I don't really understand that, cause the downloaded image burn to =

a cdrw don't boot. If I use the same cd and rerecord it with =

mkisofs .... -b /cdrom/floppies/boot.flp /cdrom

it boots! Even the FreeBSD Mall 5.X CD's don't boot, but the 4.X do.

>>  - My installation isn't runable, cause the kernel don't find the root=
fs

>Since you have FreeBSD installed twice and you are spanning IDE and SCSI=

>disks, its entirely possible you're booting the wrong loader and its
>getting confused, or loader itself is getting confused because of the
>multiple FreeBSD installs.  You should make sure that the 'rootdev'
>variable in the loader is set properly before jumping into the kernel. Y=
ou
>can set it by dropping to the loader OK prompt and typing
>
>set rootdev=3DdiskXs1a
>
>where X is the disk number, printed when loader starts up.
>
>Some BIOSes have lots of issues with booting across IDE and SCSI disks i=
>the same system.

I've tracked it down. The problem was induced due to mess in the =

boot loader and BIOS disk order. The smart boot loader was not loaded =

from the first BIOS disk (ad0) but from the first SCSI disk. So it =

thinks the ad disk was BIOS HD3 ......

After fixing that all runs well out of the box! Sorry!

I've just trying to migrate my config and scripts from 4.9 to 5.2 so =

I'm able to fix the xperfmon3 compile problem.

However, the usb mouse didn't work. Booting in 4.9 all runs well. In =

5.2 the usbdev -v hangs about 5 seconds on the first hub. The mouse is =

recognized, but the cursor didn't move. (I've also cvsup to the latest =

sources and build my own kernel).

4.9-RELEASE:

root@odie:~/
143130 : usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x0000), rev 1=
=2E00
 port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, PS2/USB Browser Combo =
Mouse(0x0011), Cypress Sem(0x05fe), rev 0.10
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), NEC(0x0000), rev 1=
=2E00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), NEC(0x0000), rev 1=
=2E00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered

5.2-RC:

The same output, but also the USB2 device is recognized.

Any ideas? (vidcontrol -m on, moused parameters, are o.k. usbd also =

starts the mouse .....)

Best regards

Lars

-- =