Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:50:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base port

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:17:23PM +0200, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> I'm working on a port which requires glibc 2.2.3 or newer. We currently
> have a linux base based on RedHat 7.1. Is anyone working on upgrading it
> to 7.2 or 7.3? I think it would be nice to have an up to date Linux
> base. I'll give it a go if noone is working on it.

I was intending to give this a go but hadn't got to it yet.  Going to
7.3 presents problems in that there is no release of 7.3 for the Alpha.
Even with 7.2 the Alpha release is only available from Compaq and I've
only found it available as ISOs, not individual RPMs.

Disassociating the alpha version from the x86 version will impact port
maintenance at least.  It should probably be talked through before its
done.

Have you looked at whether there is a glibc update for 7.1?  It may be
easier to add the update location to the MASTER_SITE list and simply
bump the glibc version in the list of RPMS to install.  The problem
with that is that RPMs on the update site tend to get deleted when
a newer update comes down the pipe, but 7.1 is probably not going to
get a huge number of updates between now and 8.0.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org