Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:16:50 +0000
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        usleepless@gmail.com
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: set up of hp laserjet 2200dn with Jetdirect 610N on network

> > >       I recently used CUPS to connect to a LaserJet 6 series with a
> > > non HP (but supposedly HP-compatible) print server.  After some
> > > help, I entered "socket://<IP address>" in the appropriate field
> > > ... and everything Just Works.
> > >

> > >                               Robert Huff
> >
> > Hi Robert
> > Seasons greetings
> >
> > Thanks v. much.
> >
> > With help from Olivier Nicole I was able to telnet to the printer 9100
> > and text types got printed. My questions now are:
> >
> > 1. How do I manage to print single/double sided and determine the page
> > orientation for different jobs?
> > 2. How do I print images/ PCl /postscript.
> >
> > Olivier has a script which he will be sending me tomorrow but I do not
> > know whether that deals with those issues.
>
> install CUPS.

Installed and configured cups but cannot get the online login system to work.
It refuses to accept username/password combination.

Here are the relevant lines in cupsd.conf:
# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />

Order Deny, Allow
Deny from All
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from  62.49.197.50
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
  Order Deny, Allow
Deny from All
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from  62.49.197.50
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
Order Deny, Allow
Deny from All
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from  62.49.197.50
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

Relevant ports:
dns1# pkg_info |grep cups
cups-base-1.4.2_1   Common UNIX Printing System: Server
cups-client-1.4.2_1 Common UNIX Printing System: Library cups
cups-image-1.4.2_1  Common UNIX Printing System: Library cupsimage
cups-pdf-2.5.0      A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_4 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS
printers
cups-samba-6.0_2    The Common UNIX Printing System:  MS Windows client
drivers
cups-smb-backend-1.0_2 A CUPS backend for printing to Windows servers
gnome-cups-manager-0.31_10,1 Admistration tool for cups
gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_4 GutenPrint Printer Driver
libgnomecups-0.2.3_2,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration
py26-cups-1.9.46    CUPS bindings for Python