Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 02:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not booting after install.

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Chris Coleman wrote:

> > > Well, it didn't give a specific failure...  I guess these messages popped
> > > up.
> > >
> > >    Boot:
> > > 	empty partition:
> > > 	 Can't find kernel.
> >
> > This sure as hell isn't "can't mount root".
> >
> > This means that BIOS disk 0x80 is not sd0, ie. your BIOS probes your
> > SCSI controllers in a different order to FreeBSD.  This is because
> > someone thought it would be better to do their own PCI enumeration
> > rather than use the BIOS.  8(
> >
> Any way of fixing this?

With my aic7880, there's an option to set the "boot device" or something
like that from the SCSI BIOS setup thingy.  If you set the "boot device"
to scsi ID n, 0x80 will be that ID.  The Adaptect boot up screen shows
which id coresponds to which hex #.  Make sense?  Kinda?

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |