Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:28:41 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, ppc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GCC 4.1 configure help

--Sig_Jsc/DU8igUaJfSpyAQoIxZx

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:29:33 +0400
Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:05:04 -0400
> Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com> mentioned:
>=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I do not have access to any PowerPC machines running FreeBSD, so I
> > would like to ask for your help. Could someone please go to
> > /usr/ports/lang/gcc41 start the build and then collect the
> > auto-host.h file from the work/build/gcc/ directory? Or better yet,
> > _all_ header files from work/build?
> >=20
> > This will help me to ensure I won't miss any special configuration
> > tweak for an upcoming gcc 4.1 compiler update in the tree. There is
> > only so much I can to using cross-compiled toolchain.
> >=20
> > I am not subscribed to the list, so please reply directly to this
> > address or  kan at FreeBSD.org.
> >
>=20
> When you plan to perform gcc upgrade? This will probably make a huge
> regression in ports, thus it needs full run on cluster first, that
> will help us to fix affected ports.
>=20
> In fact, even 3.4.4 -> 3.4.6 upgrade broke some ports.
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> --=20
> Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>
> =F2=CF=D3=D3=C9=D1, =ED=CF=D3=CB=D7=C1         http://mbsd.msk.ru

   What is the point of this message? I asked for help and unless you
have a file I asked for, please spare me the lecture on how to do
compiler updates. I did it several times and full package runs on
multiple architectures were mandatory with all of them, as Kris can
attest.

Every compiler update breaks some ports, due to new bugs or more often
due to even more anal code correctness checks implemented with every
new major GCC release. Depending on their seriousness, GCC bugs are
either getting fixed in upstream sources or worked around locally, but
dealing with GCC strictness was always been something that port
maintainers were supposed to do themselves.

3.4.4 - 3.4.6 update broke ports that had the code GCC no longer accepts
as valid C++.

--
Alexander Kabaev

--=20