Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:52:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Studded@dal.net (Studded)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

Studded writes:
> Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > Studded writes:
> > >       I know there was interest in the "free(): warning: junk pointer, too
> > > high to make sense." warning inre inetd, however I am getting it
> > > reliably using the 'mail' command. Every time I just type 'mail' (no
> > > parameters) to start up the interface, I get this warning. The program
> > > seems to be working fine however.
> >
> > So...
> >
> >   $ ln -sf AJ /etc/malloc.conf
> >
> > run mail again, and examine the core dump.
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/home/myusername/./mail
> mail in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> 0x20080d51 in kill ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x20080d51 in kill ()
> #1  0x200805c4 in abort ()
> #2  0x2007f01c in getdtablesize ()
> #3  0x2007f058 in getdtablesize ()
> #4  0x2008007d in getdtablesize ()
> #5  0x200802ba in free ()
> #6  0x9263 in setmsize (sz=0) at lex.c:445
> #7  0x88b2 in setfile (name=0x1b080 "/var/mail/myusername") at lex.c:146
> #8  0xb492 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfd768) at main.c:246

Hmm.. is your system elm? Maybe there's a bug in mail that's always
been there, but which is only now exhibited with elf.

A quick look doesn't reveal any obvious logical bugs. The only way this
can be happening is if some code is corrupting the "msgvec" variable
in lex.c. "msgvec" may just be the unlucky victim of some other random
memory corruption.

-Archie