Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:14:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complimentary article on FreeBSD

> this actually highlights a major problem with the freebsd project,
> these apple guys are cvsing their rapsody product of freebsd cvs sites
> all our work in making freebsd stable, fast, reliable and user friendly is
> going into apples coffers, don't forget apple is 20%+ owned by microsoft.

I don't see that as a problem at all.  Even if Microsoft "lifted"
substantial chunks of our code, and it's hard to even use a term like
that when talking about free software ("why did you guys give it away
if you didn't want people using it for whatever??"), that would
probably be a win for the industry at large.  The TCP/IP stack in
Win95 SUCKS, it's something which lots of us still have to live with
at customer sites, and I'd be happy as heck if they admitted defeat
and simply started basing everything on BSD.  It ain't gonna happen,
but I'd still sure be happy if it did. :-)

> maybe someone in the freebsd organisation should put a submittion to apple
> to commit some resources ????
>
> a commercial freebsd would stop this problem or at least force apple to do
> the right thing

The very concept that it's reasonable or even moral to "force someone
to do the right thing" is exactly what I abhor most about the GPL and
the Linux advocates who espouse such an approach.  It quite simply
stinks and is the free market equivalent of bait-and-switch, "Oh, you
can have this for free, but only if you use it in the ways that WE
approve of."

If apple wants to "do the right thing" by tossing resources at us then
fine, that's wonderful.  If they don't, then that's fine too.
Resources delivered only at gunpoint are resources we can all live
without.

- Jordan