Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:15:25 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   key Shift+Prior not working for scroll-up in xterm but in urxvt

Hello,

This question is within -HEAD and ports as well from -HEAD:

$ pkg info | egrep 'xorg-7|xterm|rxvt'
rxvt-unicode-9.20              Clone of the terminal emulator rxvt modified to support Unicode
xorg-7.7_1                     X.Org complete distribution metaport
xterm-312                      Terminal emulator for the X Window System

I run this 11C on a small netbook (Acer C720) which does not have physical
keys for PG_UP/DOWN; that's why I use xmodmap to define

Mode_switch + UP --> Prior
Mdee_switch + Down --> Next

xmodmap -e "keycode 98  =  Up   Up   Prior"
xmodmap -e "keycode 104 =  Down Down Next"

When I now do in the terminal urxvt holding down both Mode_switch and
Shift, it scrolls fine with the Up and Down keys as expected: the
terminal window is scrolled up and down.

When I do the same, the key is delivered to the xterm itself and I can
see them, for example, with 'od -c' as:

$ od -c
^[[5;2~^[[5;2~
^[[6;2~^[[6;2~
0000000  033   [   5   ;   2   ~ 033   [   5   ;   2   ~  \n 033   [   6
0000020    ;   2   ~ 033   [   6   ;   2   ~  \n
0000032

The 033 [ 5 ; 2 ~ for Up and the 033 [ 6 ; 2 ~ for down.

Why this does not work in xterm?

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
La referencia de la Duma a la anexión de la RDA, en este caso al contrario con la Crimlía sin