Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:19:17 -0400
From:      John.Shue@symmetron.com (John A. Shue)
To:        <sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to debug kernel panics?

I've got an ultra 5 running from the sparc64-20020408.iso and the
distrib-20020408.tar.

lovelace: {88} uname -a
FreeBSD lovelace.symmetron.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #9: Tue Apr
9 04:25:17 GMT 2002
jake@u60.locore.ca:/usr/current/src/sys/sparc64/compile/GENERIC  sparc64

My system keeps panicing and dumping into debug mode.  I was wondering which
steps I could take to try to determine why and where this is happening.

panic: trap: illegal instruction
cpuid = 0; Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta          %xcc, 1
db>

or

panic: trap: memory address not aligned
cpuid = 0; Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta          %xcc, 1
db>

or

Lock sysctl sysctllock not exclusively locked @
../../../kern/kern_sysctl.c:1192
panic: lockmgr: pid 130, not exclusive lock holder 16711810 unlocking
cpuid = 0; Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta          %xcc, 1
db>

Also I'm getting errors on the hme0 device, I don't know if this is related
to the above problem or not...

Messages like the following are reported to the console:

kernel: hme0: error signaled, status=0x3010021
kernel: hme0: error signaled, status=0x10121
kernel: hme0: error signaled, status=0x10121
kernel: hme0: error signaled, status=0x3010121
kernel: hme0: error signaled, status=0x2010021
kernel: hme0: too may errors; not reporting any more

The hme0 device continues to function after these messages, so I figured
that the device was not causing the kernel panics.