Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 95 13:58 CDT
From:      malenovi@cview.com (Nik Malenovic)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nc@ai.net
Subject:   Re: More PPP questions.

In article <DEvD12.3uE@cview.com> you write:

>When I run ppp -direct on a ttyline, this is what I get:
[...]
>can't find ifindex
>open_tun: No such file or directory

blah. this is a problem I reported way back - and no one even blinked.
I have sl0-7, ppp0-7, tun0-7, bpf0-7 and a few other devices. the problem
is that ppp is probing with a buffer that can hold like 32/4 = 8 devices.
so if you have more then 8 devices configured, you are... errr... screwed?

>authentication [i.e. FORCE them to use a single IP address after they
>login no matter what]? And how do I get around the open_tun error?

yeah, check the archives - there was a cute little script for creating
dynamic ppp server (allocating static IP # according to the tty they log
in through). in either case, check ftp://ftp.cview.com/pub/FreeBSD
and you will find my version of dynamic pppd server as well as ppp patch
to get around the ifindex problem.

Nik