Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Pete Delaney <pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, netbsd-ports@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 2.0beta1 - Port of HotJava to FreeBSD and NetBSD More Usefull?

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Pete Delaney wrote:

>    > >} Well, so what do you guys think about updating the "port"?  (I know,
>    > >} it's a binary-only port and we can't distribute the distfile/package
>    > >} anyway....)  I've been using it since yesterday, and it feels really
>    > >} "beta", so I won't update the port unless people really want the
>    > >} change to go in.
>    >
>    > I dislike this idea, it contains too many bugs for everyday usage
>    > comparing to old version.
>
>    > BTW, I think separate port (netscape2) will be nice addition.
>
> Wouldn't a complete port of HotJava to SunOS 4.1.4, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> and Linux be more in the tradition of BSD? I hate being SourceLess.
>
> -pete

I heard there was some fairly good progress being made on a Linux port.
Is this true?  Because if the Linux people have a working version, then a
FreeBSD/NetBSD version would be almost trivial from there.

Having said that, I extremely dislike Sun's implementation of Java.  The
language itself is really cool, but I guess internal politics at Sun have
caused them to turn it from the true cross-platform development
environment that it could have been to a stripped-down WWW-applet only
environment that only runs right on Solaris and Windows 95 (and maybe
SunOS and IRIX in the buggy Netscape beta).  Yuck!  Oh well, just my $0.02

---Jake