Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 20:57:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

> >From the xntpd docs it looks like he is using a Garmin 25XL GPS device.
> http://www.garmin.com only shows Garmin 45XL.  I wonder how much these
> things cost?  Anyway, this apparently works now on FreeBSD.

I have a Garmin 12XL, and it's about $250.  If the cheaper unit is
accurate enough, then it should work since they all output the standard
NMEA CCGGA codes which contains the time-stamp.  (I haven't looked at
the source code to see if that's the message format the code uses.)

If that's too much, you can get a Garmin 12 for around $180 (Cabela's
Spring catalog) which has less 'features', but that's not important for
doign time-clocks, unless you *need* an external antenna which the 12
doesn't support and the 12XL does.  The antenna for the 12XL runs about
$90 according to Cabelas, and the power supply is $19..

> 2) Poul is playing around with the Motorolla UT Oncore Evaluation Kit.
> From what I gather, the "Evaluation Kit" is what you would actually end up
> using.  The unit is housed in an aluminum casing and they provide the
> RS-232 cable and some control software that runs on a PC.  This looks like
> a cheap way to get a pretty high quality device.  A lot of devices out
> there require a Gadget box to interface to a PC, the Evaluation kit takes
> care of that for you.

The Garmin certainly doesn't require any device, just a funky cable to
plug into the back of the unit that terminates in a standard db9 serial
cable.

Nate