Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:19:02 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), lcremean@tidalwave.net, stevec@dalnet.com, kaleb@ics.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, root@jtrevick.student.simons-rock.edu
Subject:   Re: Linksys NIC, was: Re: de ethernet driver -- another puzzle

> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Mike Smith had
> to walk into mine and say:
>
> > > I got a Linksys EtherFast PCI card
> >
> > Older Linksys cards are supported by the 'de' driver; you can tell
> > these because the large chip on the card has "digital" written on it.
> >
> > New ones use a new chipset and require a new driver not yet integrated
> > into FreeBSD.
>
> Aw c'mon Mike, why didn't you tell him how to get the driver so he can
> test it? I need testers.

Whoops, sorry.  8(

> P.S. If somebody knows where I can get a Macronix 98713 card (that's
>      98713, _NOT_ 98713A) or has one they aren't using, please get in
>      touch with me. The 98713 is a little different from the 98713A:
>      it should receive and transmit okay with the mx driver, but the
>      NWAY support is broken and I can't fix it without a sample card.

I was actually looking for these the other day for FTL.  Unfortunately
the same white-box supplier I got the last one from (went to Matt
Thomas) is now shipping cards using the ASIX AX88140.  (This looks like
another Tulip clone; possibly more faithful than some of the others.)

Should I grab one of these while I can?