Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:18:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangulik@jrc.it>
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kris.wpi.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing (can't get it right)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Lanny Baron wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Rick C. Petty wrote:
>
> > >     I am wondering if anyone else here  besides Mr. Lehey (hi Greg) has
> > > been able to get a printer such as a Canon BJC-4100 to print, legibly. I
> > > have tried with ghostscript (can't figure that either), with postscript
> > > (ditto) and have now pulled about 320 hairs out of my head.
> >
> my printer
>          prints a few words
>                             and the lines come out
>                                                   like this all
>                                                                the time
>
> and then off the page :-(

Check out the FreeBSD handbook; the chapter (6) on configuring printers
has just the right anwers for this; and yes I have the same Canon printer;
I copied those pages and it works for me. Just follow the steps one by
one, and things should start to work.

At
	http://www.nl.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook85.html

The section headered

	'Trying it out'

Has a subsection

	'It produced the ``staircase effect.'''

Which should help.

There is also a pointer in the FAQ to much the same solution.

Dw.