Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:12:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

> > > Ever since I got the first "critter" in 1994, it has been obvious
> > > to me, that the weight is a far more important parameter in a laptop
> > > than screen resolution or battery life.
> >
> > Agreed.
>
> 	I guess I'm doing the opposite since I need a desktop replacement
> when I travel.

My 600 works pretty well as a desktop replacement.  I've got it loaded
with a 10GB disk, it's hooked through my dock to an external
keyboard/mouse, and hooked up to my 19" monitor which does 1024x768
quite nicely. :)

> > I *love* IBM Thinkpads.  Unfortunately, they're a bit spendy, but IMO
> > well worth it in terms or ruggedness and the best keyboard of any
> > laptop.
>
> 	Me too.  I'm just waiting for the 770Z replacement since that's
> what I have now.  The older ThinkPad models seems to have better keyboards
> than the newer ones though.
>
> > (Plus, they don't use those silly touch-pads...)
>
> 	That's the primary reason I got the ThinkPad is because of the
> Trackpoint.  While both Toshiba and Compaq has it too, I didn't like those
> machines as much as the TP itself.  Except the experience with this 770Z
> hasn't been that great.  The ROM lost the serial number after one week of
> usage so they replaced the mainboard.  Otherwise, the machine has been
> serving me well the last 10 months.  Just a bit on the expensive side
> since I spent close to $5k for this thing but atleast I get my work done.

*Ouch*  I bought my Thinkpad on E-Bay for $3K.  PII-400, 192MB memory,
10GB disk, and a DVD.  About $1800 cheaper than buying it retail, and
the warranty was still good (I checked with IBM before buying it).

I will admit it was a bit scarey giving the UPS guy a check for that
much w/out being able to see the machine, but in the end it worked out
for me...

Nate