Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:53:36 -0700
From:      Michael Oski <onemo@jps.net>
To:        Greg W <redhat_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [MY]  Broken X and window managers

OK, looks simple... In your /etc/hosts file, make sure you have the 127.0.0.1
localhost line with your correct domain name in the fully qualified parameter.
Mine looks like this:

# $Id: hosts,v 1.9 1998/04/16 14:37:19 joerg Exp $
#
127.0.0.1               localhost.one-mo.com            localhost
192.168.1.1          serv01.one-mo.com                 serv01

Then in your .cshrc or .profile or .whatever-shell-you-use-startup-stuff file
set the environment variable DISPLAY to localhost:0.0 and export it.

That should take care of things.

Good luck!