Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 04:06:36 +0100
From:      andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New motherboard breaks tape drive

> > How is your kernel config file. What's the SC200 ?
> > PCI controller ? AHA 2940 compatible or what ?
> NCR.  See kernel config below.

I think it's a PCI controller ?! I don't know the NCR ones well...

> > BTW, did you try team from the ports collection ?
> Yes, and it doesn't offer any improvement over dump/tar/dd with
> sufficiently large block sizes.

Then it must be something other I think...

> options	BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers

You only need this option when using SCSI DMA controllers like the
AHA 1542B, which only could address 16 MB address space and only in
the case when having more than 16MB of system memory.

It might be the case, that this bounce buffering brings your system's
performance down.

Another good idea would be, to create a very small kernel without
many kernel options like DEVFS and other options...

Strip down GENERIC, since it has less "esoteric" options in it
and reduce it to the drivers you really need...

This might also help tracking down the "bug" ...

But I think BOUNCE_BUFFERS might be the real culprit...

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de