Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:02:29 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PAO on a 3.2 Stable system????

charon@freethought.org probably said:
> At 10:22 AM 9/6/99 +0200, Alexander Maret wrote:
> >I know that PAO is supposed to be used with FreeBSD 3.2 Release
> >systems. But what happens if I do a CVS-update to 3.2 Stable and
> >then re-apply the PAO patches. Will this work or is it not possible
> >to use PAO on Stable systems without further hacking.

The PAO patches don't apply cleanly to -STABLE, be prepared for a lot of
hacking around to get them all applied manually.
The amount of hacking varies and PAO things filter through the standard
CURRENT/RELEASE trees.

> I don't believe it will work, since both PAO and -STABLE assume that
> they're the only thing that's messed with your system files.  I tried
> think) PAO was trying to modify a file already changed in -STABLE, and not
> expecting that, PAO crashed.

"PAO crashed" doesn't make any sense.
The patch command that tries to patch your system to PAO can segv when
trying to apply PAO patches to -STABLE, I checked the offending patches
and applied them in smaller groups or by hand.
This obviously shouldn't happen.

The box I'm on right now is STABLE as of a couple of weeks ago plus PAO.

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu