Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:24:54 -0500
From:      Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Amit Rao <infinite1@despammed.com>
Subject:   Re: ahd0: Invalid Sequencer interrupt occurred.

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 22:57 -0800, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:51 , Amit Rao wrote:
> > 0) Upgrade to Seagate 10K.7 drive firmware level 0008. That seems
> > to help. One "ahd sequencer error" message still appears at boot,
> > but after that it seems to work (with your fingers crossed).
>
> Of course, you then spend far too much time ensuring that any
> replacement drives are flashed appropriately (which, afaict,
> *requires* Windows to do), and also running the gauntlet of further
> problems down the road when you throw the drives into a new machine
> with a subtly different HBA bios.
>
> No thanks, I'll stick with option (2).  A few more months, and
> Seagate drives will be a nice distant memory that I can look back on
> in a few years, and laugh nervously about.
>
> -aDe

There was a flash-utility that was [hand-rolled?] able to run on FreeBSD
and I did successfully flash some Seagate drives' firmware -- didn't
help any as far as the error [messages] went so we dropped Seagate
drives altogether a little over a year ago. Since then we have been
using the IBM/Hitachi drives with no issues (much easier to change drive
manufacturers than try to respec the servers we were using or do some of
the borderline-absurd workarounds that Seagate suggested).

Sven