Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:30:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Russ Howard <rhoward@sabre.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Russ Howard wrote:

> I am thinking of putting either Linux, Free BSD, or some form of Unix on
> my system at home to coexist with my Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0, and
> OS/2 Warp 4 partitions. Linux appears to be out, because it doesn't
> support plug 'n pray (at least that's what I read at the Red Hat
> homepage). Does Free BSD support plug 'n play (I couldn't find it in the
> online docs)? Also, here is my system :

FreeBSD does, but you have to patch the kernel first.

> Blaster 6X CD-ROM (off of its own PNP EIDE card)

That probably won't work.  You may want to move the CD onto the secondary
IDE channel on your motherboard.

> Parallel Port Zip Drive

Another kernel patch to get that working.

> Microsoft Inport Bus Mouse (off of its own PNP card)

Barf.  Can you force the InPort card?  If you can then you can point the
mse0 driver at it.

> D:              549MB    FAT     Primary     Linux or Free BSD

FreeBSD can go here, but you have to delete the partition first since
FreeBSD uses a native partition format.

> Will this drive setup work with BSD?
> Will Free BSD cooperate with my system? Also, when was the last official
> version of Free BSD cut and when will the next one be (I want to get the
> most current official release)? What is the version number of the most
> current official release? Thanks for your help with this.

Current release is 2.2.5, available from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/.

> P.S. You can send the answers either to rhoward@sabre.com (work) or
> falcon@dhc.net (home).

The reply is going where this one came from.

If you don't like that then set up a Reply-To: header line. ;)