Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jdp@polstra.com>, <deischen@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help needed. Deadlock in rtld makes openoffice build hang ag

:hi,
:
:> It must have got interrupted while in a critical section.
:> Something may have grabbed a spinlock that the thread needs
:> inside a critical section.
:
:How can I debug that ? And is this a libc_r problem or a rtld
:problem (which uses spinlocks) ?

    In rtld-elf/i386/lockdflt.c, put some code in the
    wlock_acquire() loop to fault out or print an error message
    when lock contention is detected.  If you know what threading
    package OpenOffice is using you could also setup a callback
    vector for rtld to call inside its lock acquisition loop to
    force a context switch.  A hack, I know, but it may be the
    only real solution.

					-Matt