Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:28:55 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Subject:   Re: isic0 not found at 0x340

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 01:51:55PM +0200, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Christoph Kukulies:
>
> > > Everything looks good. Your ISDN setup seems to work pretty well, so i
> > > think you have a routing problem:

> > >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > What about this ? This looks a bit strange to me ! What is your subnet
> > > mask for 132.222.123 ?
> >
> > It has always worked that way.
>
> Hmm, no offense, but you said the same about the kernel config ;-)))))
>
> At some point in time the routing code in FreeBSD seemd to change, and i
> had similar problems with a configuration which worked a long time but
> then stopped to work.

What is your suggestion? Use a different netmask? I seem to remember
that it came out of the FreeBSD lists to use that netmask at that time.

> If i remember correctly, a packet is only routed to a destination in case
> the destination is in a different network.

Hhmm.
<scratching head>

> Ignoring the "netmask 0xffffffff" in the ipr0 configuration, nothing will
> be routed from 132.222.123.x to 132.222.123.1 because they are in the same
> network. Which would be an explanation why an ISDN connection is made in
> your setup but no data flows.

Let me put it that way: Why should an ISDN connection be made at all when
no packet wants to flow? What mechanism decides to open the isdn connection?