Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2011 05:18:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenVPN - what configuration do I need/want

=0A=A0=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: Ryan Coleman <editor@d=
3photography.com>=0ATo: Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>=0ACc: FreeBSD Q=
uestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>=0ASent: Saturday, November 5, 2011=
 9:32 PM=0ASubject: Re: OpenVPN - what configuration do I need/want=0A=0ASo=
... basically you've just set up servers that utilize the host connection o=
r doesn't route?=0A=0AOn Nov 5, 2011, at 5:35 AM, Bill Tillman wrote:=0A=0A=
>=A0 =0A> ________________________________=0A> =0A> From: Ryan Coleman <edi=
tor@d3photography.com>=0A> To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd=
.org>=0A> Sent: Friday, November 4, 2011 10:22 AM=0A> Subject: OpenVPN - wh=
at configuration do I need/want=0A> =0A> I have a PE 2450 with dual NICs an=
d I want to turn it into a bridging VPN for the guys in the office to utili=
ze.=0A> =0A> Our configuration:=0A> My office: 192.168.46.0/24=0A>=A0 =A0  =
Server IPs: 192.168.46.2 [8.2-RELEASE] + public IP=0A> Corporate office: 19=
2.168.45.0/24=0A> My VPN: 192.168.47.0/24 [preferred]=0A> There's a NetVant=
a VPN between my office and the corporate office and I presume that will st=
ill work to route 47.0/24 to 45.0/24 when all is said and done.=0A> =0A> I =
am going to be supporting Windows and Mac clients (well, all windows and th=
en my mac) and I'd like to test it from my 8.2 server at home before pushin=
g this over to my MacBook Pro (using Tunnelblick) and then to my Windows us=
ers.=0A> =0A> I've tried the FreeBSD handbook and the Section6.net walkthro=
ughs to no avail.=0A> =0A> Any help would be appreciated.=0A> =0A> Thanks,=
=0A> Ryan =0A> =0A> _______________________________________________=0A> fre=
n/listinfo/freebsd-questions=0A> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-=
questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"=0A> =0A> =0A>=A0 =0A> I can't say that I=
'm familiar with your setup which uses "bridging". But I setup OpenVPN to w=
ork on a server inside my LAN which is behind my FreeBSD firewall server. T=
he setup wasn't that hard, you just have to forward the right ports and get=
 the certificates copied to the clients correctly. The docs on the OpenVPN =
site were very helpful in this for me. =0A> The trouble you may find is tha=
t this other VPN appliance you reference, NetVanta, may or may not be compa=
tible with OpenVPN. I tried this several years ago with a remote company I =
was working for and found out quite dissappointingly that the protocol used=
 by OpenVPN would not work whatsoever with Cisco equipment. That may have c=
hanged now but at the time all the advice I got was forget about it. Cisco =
equipment would not work with OpenVPN period. Luckily at the time I had a s=
mall Cisco appliance at my house and that is the only way I could get that =
setup to work. These days I happily connect to my LAN with encrypted tunnel=
s from most places like hotels, etc... There is a problem sometimes at plac=
es like Starbucks or McDonalds where they have equipment which is blocking =
ports needed to run VPN. And in most cases it's not that they are blocking =
specific ports, it's that they are blocking everything except port 80 to on=
ly let their freebie users surf web=0A> content. =0A> YMMV....check the doc=
s on the OpenVPN site. Many HOWTOs and examples will help you get going.=0A=